Curbside Recycling Program
- Category: Sanitation & Recycling
About the Service
The City of Augusta is implementing a new automated curbside recycle collection system. Collection will occur once each week on the same designated collection days as your trash. With the new automated curbside recycling, the city will no longer provide a drop off point in the Dillon’s parking lot, but citizens will still be able to drop off all recyclables, e-waste, and metal at the recycle center located at 400 S. Grove. The City’s service is “single-stream” meaning that all recyclable materials may be commingled (or mixed) in the same cart.
About the Recycle Carts
The carts used for the curbside recycle collection system are City property and assigned to your address. The recycle carts shall not be used as a second cart for trash; the lid lists all acceptable recycle materials. If non-recyclable materials are found in the recycle cart, the cart will not be picked up until the materials are removed or the user of the cart pays a special pickup fee.
DO NOT BAG OR PACKAGE RECYCLABLES. ONLY LOOSE ITEMS MAY BE PLACED IN THE CART.
Participation in the curbside recycle program is voluntary. To opt out, please contact the Solid Waste Division at 316- 775-4560.
Placement for Collection
- General placement of the recycle carts is shown below. At least 3 feet of separation shall be maintained between the carts, and the area shall be clear of trees, shrubs, mailboxes, parked vehicles, etc. Drivers need an unobstructed path for emptying the carts. Carts may be placed in the curb and gutter pan if the yard grade is too steep for carts to stand upright.
- Your cart should be facing the street with the lid fully closed and shall not block the driveway or be away from the curb.
- Carts shall be placed for collection between 5 p.m. the day before collection and 6 a.m. the day of collection and removed from the curb the same day as collected.
Caring for Your Recycle Cart
- Only put acceptable recycle items in your carts.
- Avoid overfilling the carts. Lid must be completely closed.
- Rinse your carts out with a garden hose as needed. It is the customer’s responsibility to keep the cart clean.
- Report damaged carts to the Utility or Solid Waste Office immediately. A replacement fee will be billed to your account for damage caused by improper use of the cart.